Thursday, March 14, 2013

My warrior



 This adorable face is the thing that gets me through those days that just seem really difficult.  There are so many times I look at him and wonder how I could be the mother of such a strong little warrior!
 
 Caleb is still doing really well.  I have noticed that the chemo is starting to take it's effect on his little body.  Not just him losing his hair but he his weaker than he used to be just a few short months ago.  Last fall Caleb took a tumbling class that the city was offering.  He went once a week and he loved it!  But really, what three year old wouldn't love jumping and playing around?  There was one specific move that he loved to do and would come home and do it here with his brother and sister.  In simple terms, it was a handstand up against the wall.  He liked to call it 'walking on the wall'.  Well, several days ago Alexis was playing with Caleb and said "hey let's walk on the wall Caleb, you love that!"  So the two of them went to the wall... and up Alexis went, nothing to it.  Caleb on the other hand was a different story.  My heart literally felt like it was breaking as I sat there and watched my boy try with all his might to do it.  A few months ago it was so easy, but not now.   He tried and tried but his strength just wasn't there.  Luckily I was sitting where they couldn't see me because the tears were rolling down my cheeks.  Right as I was ready to tell him to stop trying because I could see
he was getting tired, he got his feet up the wall.  His whole little body was shaking but he did it!  Talk about determination!  I really am in awe of him and his strength.  He wouldn't give up.  Oh, how I love my boy!

 Our clinic trip this week went well.  His ANC was only 500 which meant that his immune system was and is low.  So instead of increasing his chemo which is what they are supposed to do; they just gave him the same dose of Methotrexate as last week.  Since they have to give this chemo over a longer period of time we got to go back to a big room that has big comfy chairs AND video games!  I love the pic of Caleb playing the X-box and he isn't even paying attention to what the nurses are doing.  While we are back there Caleb can play video games or watch movies or whatever he feels like doing.  It's nice they have this available to the kids. Caleb really loved it.


 He still doesn't have much of an appetite.  He will hardly eat anything no matter what we offer.  As a mother, of course it is stressing me out!  But they are watching his weight every time we go in for clinic so that he doesn't lose too much.  For the first time since he was diagnosed he got sick the day after he had chemo.  So when he woke up Tuesday morning he was just plain sick.  We have been so fortunate to this point that the sick stomach hasn't been an issue for him.  I am so thankful for the anti-nausea medicine that helped him to feel better quite quickly.

After we got finished at the clinic we had to pick up brother and sisters.  They had spent the day playing with cousins.  It had been such a long time since Caleb had really been outside and played with his cousins.  So we let him get out and play for a little bit.  It was great to see him doing regular three year old boy things!  It is something that we have just always taken advantage of.   But now we see things so differently.  Everyday is a gift and blessing that we don't take lightly anymore.  It's just sad that we have to have something like this happen to really realize how blessed we really are.   I know I see the world with a different pair of eyes than I did before.  I think in that way I can say that I am grateful for the things that we have learned and ARE learning through this journey.                                                                                            
.This boy, my Caleb, is my hero.  Heaven has a plan for this extraordinary little boy.  I know that he is in the very best hands.  Those of a very loving Heavenly Father.  He has so much to teach us all.  I know that I learn from him everyday, this little boy, with the spirit of a giant.  I hope that one day I can be just as great as he is.  Mommy loves you Caleb! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment