Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Getting ready for a new phase


 I haven't posted in a while.  It seems like I get caught up in the daily routine of things and just forget to update everyone on how he is doing. Caleb has been doing really great.  We have been doing our weekly visits and as you can tell Caleb still loves the iPad.  I really don't know how we would have made it this far without it.

The past few weeks for myself has been filled with alot of ups and downs.  Mike and I attended the viewing of a cute little boy that fought hard against his leukemia and was doing well.   But unfortunately had another disorder develop that finally took his life.  As Mike and I stood there waiting to talk to the family I couldn't  help wonder if we could do this if we lost our son.  It was beautiful and sad all at the same time.  After that though, the next couple of days I just felt so angry and frustrated.  I wish we could just go back several months,  When our life was "normal".'  When I wasn't always worrying about blood counts, and keeping him away from people, all his medicines he needs to be taking,  are the treatments really working,  just EVERYTHING!  Some days I feel like I could be swallowed up by the stress and seclude myself to a dark room.  But luckily for me, I have a great support system that won't let me go too far down that dark road.  I was even able to go up the canyon and break a whole lot of dishes.  Just to get all the anger and stress out.  Thanks to my sisters in law it really helped.  I highly recommend it. :)
The picture of Caleb on the right here was so funny!  Two weeks ago or so he had to have yet another lumbar puncture.  These have become quite routine for us.  I still don't like them, but we do what we have to do.  Anyway, Caleb was in the recovery room and trying his best to wake up.  The nurses are great and try to get him drinks or snacks since he had been fasting all morning.  We've found that Caleb usually likes the chips the best so that's what he got on this day.  But I guess he wasn't ready to wake up OR stop eating his chips!  The nurses were cracking up!  They hadn't seen anything like it before.  He
 was sleeping and eating at the same time!  He's
such a cutie!
 


 And Caleb has now discovered that he gets to play the X-Box while he is getting his chemo. It is actually pretty cool.  I was lucky to get him to look at me long enough to even get this picture.  It's all about playing the games now.  Even with the chemo, he is still smiling through it all!

I have been so grateful for Andy.  He has been such a great big brother to Caleb.  I love this picture of Andy reading Caleb some bedtime stories.  Andy lately has been the only one that has been able to get Caleb to take his medicine without a fight.  Whatever it is...the bond that they have.  I love it! 
Tomorrow, April 17th, we start our next round of  chemo.  It's called Delayed Intensification.  The name says it all.  This is where he will be getting some harder medicine and it could make him really sick.  Also more than likely, more hair will fall out and it will be time to just shave it.  I've been dreading this phase since he was diagnosed.  Yet I know we can do this.  Caleb is strong and has been so great through everything; so this is just another hurdle we will have to cross.  *Courage to believe in miracles*  now and always!!
 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in this phase. We are praying for Caleb as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with everything. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I was just checking a few of your posts and had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    PS. Caleb is such a cutie and my prayers are with him and your family.

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete